Attachment is my powerpoint. Jesus our Creator
Propositional Statement: Jesus is our Creator, who’ll continue to create a new heavenly body for us. Let’s worship Him.
I heard from pastor Mike that you are going through this series called “seeing Jesus throughout the Bible”. That’s a great series. You guys are in for a treat. Because the Bible, though written by 35 different authors from various backgrounds, is really about one story. It’s a love story of God’s Son, pursuing his bride, fighting for her redeeming, rescuing, sacrificing for her. And ultimately He defeated her enemy, and He ends up marrying her at the end of the Bible. So Jesus is throughout the Bible. And today I have the honor to take you back to the very beginning of this story and see Jesus there.
Will you turn to Genesis 1:1 < it’s right after the Table of Contents 1st or 2nd page>
What I want to do is I want to show you that Jesus is our Creator. Then I want to take a few minute to answer a couple of questions that had bothered me in my walk with Christ. Then we’ll learn how to apply this truth to our lives. Sounds good?
1) Jesus is our Creator.
This verse seems pretty self-explanatory and simple. But my Bible teacher always says “to really understand the Bible, we have to go back to the original language.” When you do that here, you’ll find something strange. The word for God in Hebrew is Elohim. That is the plural form of God, like…Gods. Why would the author choose this word? He could have chosen the singular form, El or Eloham, or the other plural form, Eloha-im. But he chose Elohim, which is a specific form that describes 3 or more.
Does that mean that there’re more than 1 God? Is this preacher preaching polytheism and heresy?
No. Because the other interesting word is the word “created”. That word is in the singular form. That verb is used to describe the subject. So it’s like saying “we was’. Hmmm strange, right?
And you have to realize something. Since no one was there when the universe was created but God, He was the one who had to reveal what happened to Moses. And I believe God chose this specific term, this grammatically incorrect combo, to describe Himself. He’s trying to tell us, “I’m 3, but I’m also one.”
You can find the same pattern in verse 26, where He says “let us make man in OUR image”
In the New Testament, this is what he says
Colossians 1:16-17 16 For [x]by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He [y]is before all things, and in Him all things[z]hold together.
John 1:3 In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He existed in the beginning with God.
God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything that was created,[a] and his life brought light to everyone.
1 Corinth 8:6
I’ve listed a couple of verses from the NT for you to study yourselves.
So now we’ve established that Jesus is our Creator, I want to spend a few minutes to address a couple of questions I had. Because growing up, what I learned in school is that the universe is 13 billion years old, not 6000 years old. And that we humans are evolved from apes, which was evolved from rats, fish, and eventually single cell organism, amoeba. And it seemed that I had to choose between either science or the Bible. It’s troubling for me. Anyone share this struggle?
As I get older, study more about evolution, creation, the Bible, talked with different people, I have learned some theories that help me to resolve this conflict. And I want to share with you.
i ) We’ll begin with the old universe.
I know of 6 theories that can reconcile this conflict. But because of time, I’ll just share 3 of them to you quickly.
- Gap: Verse 1 and 2. Earth has already existed before God worked in it.
- Illusion: started with this question: how old was Adam? God can create an old universe.
- Moses’s School days. God revealed creation to Moses in stages over a 7 day period.
- Earth days. Scientists are wrong and will find the truth that Earth is 6000 years old.
- Geological Periods (ie.. the meaning of the word “day” is period as in “the day of rock n roll”).
6. God’s Day. (To God, it’s as if it’s 6 days, but to us, it’s billions of years)
- ii) What about evolution?
1) it’s a theory. 2) leading atheist believe life is given by aliens. 3) We’re intricately made.
Our Immune system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGOcOUBi6s
20 different cells, each with up to 4 major functions. We have tankers, suicide bombers, spies, weapon factories, healers, command center.
D cell (spies/general) helper-T-Cells tells B-Cell (creates anti-bodies)
All of those cells have to exist in the beginning for human race to have survived.
You can believe in evolution, but that all the mutations is guided and designed by God.
Important point: repeat with me “It doesn’t matter”
Doesn’t matter which you believe. God’s not going to ask ‘you doubt My power?” Repent. Trust in His finished and complete work of salvation on the cross. The point is to believe that He’s your Creator, Lord, and Savior.
3) Why is Jesus being our Creator so important? What does that have to do with me? (Paper Airplane illustration)
- a) Because you’re made for a purpose. He has a plan for you. Teenager with no purpose, living for pleasure. If we’re all going to be worm food at the end, then #yolo
- b) He owns you ( or.. He should own you) But He made us in such a way that we can reject that ownership. You can decide that you own yourself.
- c) We need to respect His world, life, and each other because He owns them too. We’re just stewards.
4) He’s not done creating. John 14:1-4 He’s preparing the coolest room for you. Imagine I’m Donald Trump and I’m pitching this room to you. Who’s going to pay for it? Jesus Christ. He’s creating new Jerusalem. He’s making a new amazing body for you. The universe and your body are already amazing. Just imagine the new body.. version 2.0 is going to be more amazing. It’s like.. super saiyan. This upgraded body won’t get sick, won’t die, it’ll live forever, and can with-stand God’s full blown glory.
My brother in-law’s passing. – closing illustration.